Fines Victoria

Primary content

The fines system in Victoria offers the option to pay a fixed penalty when an offence is committed, rather than going to court.

If you are caught breaking the law for some offences, you will be issued with a penalty in the form of an Infringement Notice (a fine).

Depending on the offence, you may receive a fine:

  • on the spot, if you are intercepted/stopped by an issuing officer at the time of the offence
  • attached to your vehicle
  • in the post.

If you don't deal with your fine by the due date, the matter will become more serious and additional fees or costs may be added.

Infringement fine stages:

For more information on the fines lifecycle and process, see Infringement fines lifecycle (PDF).

Note: At infringement stage, Fines Victoria only deals with Victoria Police, tolling and traffic camera fines. If you've received, for example, a public transport fine or a fine issued by a local council, and it's at the infringement stage, you'll need to deal with it through the agency that issued it – not Fines Victoria. Fines Victoria will only get involved once a Notice of Final Demand is issued. Always check your most recent notice for instructions on what to do, who to contact and how to pay.

The Infringements Act 2006 and the Fines Reform Act 2014 govern how fines are issued and enforced.

The Family Violence Scheme helps victim survivors with fines if there is a link between the family violence and their fines.



Return to the top