Fines Victoria

Primary content


What is the Family Violence Scheme?

Fines Victoria's Family Violence Scheme helps victim survivors with fines if there is a link between the family violence and their fines.

The scheme allows your infringement fine(s) to be withdrawn if:

  • you are a victim of family violence, and
  • the family violence was one of the main reasons why you were unable to:
  • control the conduct for which you received the fine, or
  • name the driver that committed the offence.

What fines cannot be included in my application?

The scheme covers most infringement fines, but you cannot include a fine in your application if it was:

  • issued by a court
  • issued to company
  • for an offence against local council laws (except parking fines)
  • for drink/drug-driving or drink/drug-boating
  • for excessive speeding (more than 25km/h over the limit or over 130km/h).

You cannot apply for the Family Violence Scheme if:

  • you have paid the fine in full
  • the fine has been referred to court
  • you have received a 7 Day Notice that has expired or you waived the seven day period
  • a Sheriff's officer has seized your vehicle
  • the Director, Fines Victoria has:
  • made an attachment of earnings or debt direction
  • recorded a charge over land that you own.

How do I apply?

The easiest way to apply is by completing the Family Violence Scheme application form (PDF, 2.07MB). Your application must:

  • be in writing (you can type into the application form)
  • provide your current postal address
  • list the eligible fines you want included
  • explain how being a victim of family violence substantially contributed to you getting the fine
  • provide evidence to support your application.

Fines Victoria's Guide to the Family Violence Scheme (PDF, 660KB) provides detailed guidance on what evidence to include.

You can submit your form and supporting documents:

By mail
PO Box 14487
Melbourne Victoria 8001

In person
Ground floor
277 William Street
(near corner of Little Lonsdale Street)
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except public holidays and covid lockdown periods)

You can authorise a person to apply for the family violence scheme for you – such as a lawyer, guardian, financial counsellor, friend or family member.

We handle all applicants' information confidentially and in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001.

We will not share your information with the perpetrator of the family violence.

What happens after I apply?

Once we receive your application, we put your fines on hold. Once a decision is made, we will send you the outcome in writing.

If you are eligible for the Family Violence Scheme, your fines can be:

  • withdrawn (no further action will be taken against you and any demerit points will be withdrawn); or
  • put on hold so you can nominate the responsible driver within six months (if this is what you request).

If you are not eligible for the scheme, you have 21 days to take action to deal with your fines.

Where can I go for more guidance?

The Guide to the Family Violence Scheme (PDF, 660KB) gives more detailed guidance on the scheme.

You can also get in touch with us by emailing [email protected] or by calling 1300 019 983 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding public holidays).


  • Helen's story (trigger warning)

For more information on the Family Violence Scheme, please call 1300 019 983 or email [email protected].


Return to the top