You should apply to nominate if:
- someone else was the driver responsible for the vehicle at the time of the offence
- you sold the vehicle to someone else or disposed of the vehicle before the offence date
- you believe the vehicle or number plates displayed on the vehicle were stolen
If you were incorrectly nominated as the driver of the vehicle at the time of the offence, you should select the option on the online form to reject the nomination.
You cannot nominate another driver if:
- you were stopped by a member of Victoria Police and issued with an on-the-spot fine at the time of the offence or later received the fine by post
- your fine is for a drink or drug-driving offence.
Your nomination is unlikely to be successful if your fine relates to an unregistered vehicle or trailer unless you can show, for example, that the vehicle had been sold prior to the offence.
Please be aware that your name may be disclosed to the person you nominate if they want to reject the nomination. If you believe this may pose a safety risk to you, you may want to consider submitting an internal review or Family Violence Scheme application if appropriate.
You should nominate the driver as quickly as possible. For some fines, you need to nominate within 28 days to avoid your licence being suspended. Once a Notice of Final Demand has been issued or the matter has been registered with Fines Victoria it is too late to nominate.
If your fine is at Notice of Final Demand or Enforcement Warrant stage and you have only found out about the fine within the last 14 days, you can:
- apply for an Infringement Extension with the Magistrates’ Court if your fine is for a traffic or tolling (Melbourne CityLink/Linkt or Eastlink) offence. If your application to the court is successful, you will be able to nominate the responsible driver.
- apply for an Enforcement Review on the ground of Person Unaware, if your fine is for a parking offence. If successful, the enforcement agency may reissue the infringement and you will be able to nominate the responsible person.
See nominate the responsible driver for more information on the nomination process.