Fines Victoria

Primary content

If you have been issued with an infringement notice for an offence, you can choose to have the matter heard in court.

Before you apply to go to court, you may wish to consider requesting a review instead. As the outcomes of a court hearing can be different from those of an Infringement Notice, you may wish to seek legal advice before electing to go to court.

When you can go to court

Check the stage your fine is at. This can be found at the top of your most recent notice.

If your fine is at Infringement Notice, or Penalty Reminder Notice stage, you can apply to have your matter heard in the Magistrates' Court (or the Children's Court if you are under 18 years of age).

If your fine is for an excessive speed, drink or drug-driving, or drink or drug-boating offence, your application will be submitted as a Notice of Objection. Your Notice of Objection must be submitted within 28 days of your Infringement Notice issue date, and before your licence is suspended.

When you cannot go to court

If your fine has reached Notice of Final Demand stage, you cannot apply to go to court - you can request a review.

If you have just found out that a fine has been issued against you and you were not issued an on the spot fine visit the If you didn’t know about your fine page for information on the options available to you.

What happens after you apply?

If your application to go to court is accepted:

  • the matter will be listed at the Magistrates' Court
  • you may need to appear before the court at a specified date and time (you'll be notified of your court date, time, and location in the post).  This is called a hearing.

If you don't go to your hearing, the court can decide the matter in your absence.

Possible outcomes of a court hearing

The magistrate will hear your case and decide on an appropriate penalty. They may decide to:

  • record a conviction if they find you guilty
  • issue you with a new fine (the penalty may be either more, or less, than the amount on your Infringement Notice)
  • dismiss or discharge your case
  • adjourn (delay) the matter
  • order you to do unpaid community work.

For excessive speed, drink or drug-driving, or drink or drug-boating offences, if the magistrate finds the offence proven they will be required to suspend your driver licence or learner permit. In some cases, the suspension period may be longer than if the offence had been dealt with as an infringement.

If you cannot apply online

If you'd like to take your matter to court but you don't want to apply online, you may contact the agency that issued you the fine and tell them you'd like your matter heard in court.

In most cases, you can apply by filling in the form attached to your infringement notice. If you don't have your notice, you can download a Nomination Statement and complete the Request a Court Hearing section. 


Return to the top