Fines Victoria

Primary content

The concession scheme for COVID-19 fines lets you apply for a concession on eligible COVID-19 fines.

You need to have received a fine for an eligible COVID-19 offence, provide evidence that you hold an eligible concession card or prescribed document, and apply before certain actions have been taken on your fine.

What COVID-19 fines are eligible?

Fines that were issued to individuals for breaches of the public health directions for COVID-19 are eligible for the concession scheme.

Eligible COVID-19 offences include:

  • general COVID-19 offences for refusing or failing to comply with Chief Health Officer directions or pandemic management powers
  • refusing or failing to provide information when directed to do so
  • refusing or failing to provide a name and address
  • face covering offences
  • self-isolation/self-quarantine offences
  • offences relating to restricted movement into, within or from a specified area
  • offences relating to public or private gatherings.

Fines issued for business-related COVID-19 offences are not eligible for the concession scheme. Traffic offences and other fines are also not eligible.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible, you must hold one of the following:

  • Services Australia Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Health Care Card (Gold Card)
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • ImmiCard issued by the Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs
  • PTV Asylum Seeker ID Card
  • An eligible Australian visa or Bridging visa issued by the Department of Home Affairs (see below for full list)
  • Letter from the Department of Home Affairs showing that you hold or have applied for an eligible Australian visa (see below for full list).
Who is not eligible?

You cannot apply if:

  • the fine and any fees have been paid in full
  • you were served a 7 Day Notice and it is now expired, or you waived the 7 day period
  • an attachment of earnings direction or an attachment of debts direction has been made
  • a land charge has been recorded
  • property has been seized under a vehicle seizure and sale notice if you have chosen to have the matter heard in court.

Refunds are not available for payments already made on COVID-19 fines.

How to apply

1. Complete the PDF application form
Download and save the COVID-19 concession application form (PDF).

You can also print it out and fill it in by hand. If you cannot print it out, you can call or message us, quote your fine obligation number and ask us to post a form to you. 

2. Provide us with proof of eligibility
We need a scan or photo of your:

  • concession card
  • PTV asylum seeker ID card
  • ImmiCard, or
  • letter from the Department of Home Affairs that shows your immigration status.

3. Upload the completed PDF form and the proof of eligibility using the button below.


What happens next?

If you are eligible for the scheme, Fines Victoria will write to you and let you know that your fine has been reduced with the amount to be paid depending on the offence. You will then need to deal with your fine.

If you are not eligible for the scheme, Fines Victoria will tell you this in writing. You will then need to deal with your fine within 21 days of receiving the decision letter.

How to deal with your fine

If you need help, contact us to discuss your options.


Visa subclasses

Holders or applicants for the following visa subclasses, which are referred to in Schedule 1 to the Migration Regulations 1994 (Cth), are eligible for the concession scheme:

  • Bridging A (subclass 010) visa
  • Bridging C (subclass 030) visa
  • Bridging (General) (subclass 050) visa
  • Bridging (Protection Visa Applicant) (subclass 051) visa
  • Refugee (subclass 200) visa
  • In-Country Special Humanitarian (subclass 201) visa
  • Global Special Humanitarian (subclass 202) visa
  • Emergency Rescue (subclass 203) visa
  • Woman At Risk (subclass 204) visa
  • Humanitarian Stay (Temporary) (subclass 449) visa
  • Temporary Protection (subclass 785) visa
  • Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) (subclass 786) visa
  • Safe Haven Enterprise (subclass 790) visa
  • Protection (subclass 866) visa


If you hold a Bridging A, Bridging C or Bridging (General) visa, you will only be eligible for the Scheme if your Bridging visa was issued in relation to one of the other visas listed above.


Return to the top