Fines Victoria

Primary content

The Work and Development Permit (WDP) scheme provides vulnerable and disadvantaged people with a non-financial option to address their fine debt. If eligible, you can reduce your fine debt by participating in certain activities and treatment under the supervision of an accredited sponsor.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for a WDP you will have, or be experiencing, one of the following:

  • a mental or intellectual disability, disorder or illness
  • an addiction to drugs, alcohol or a volatile substance
  • homelessness
  • family violence
  • acute financial hardship.

You will need to provide details to support your eligibility.

What activities are required?

If you undertake a WDP, your sponsor will choose the activities that are best suited to you and keep records of your participation.

These activities may include:

  • unpaid work
  • treatment given by a doctor, nurse or psychologist
  • courses, including educational, vocational or life skills courses
  • financial counselling
  • drug and alcohol counselling
  • mentoring (for a person under 25 years of age).
How can I participate in the WDP Scheme?

To participate in a WDP you must be engaged with an accredited sponsor and participate in activities and/or treatment as required by your sponsor.

If you are already engaged with an organisation or health practitioner, you can ask them if they are interested in becoming accredited as a WDP sponsor. They can contact us to find out more.

If you are not currently engaged with an organisation or health practitioner, you can contact us to discuss your options. You will need to provide details to support your eligibility for the scheme. Referrals to sponsors may be possible but cannot be guaranteed, as they are subject to a number of factors including the availability of sponsors and the eligibility of the individual.

To find out more about the Work and Development Permit scheme, email [email protected] or call 1300 323 483 between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Becoming a WDP sponsor

If you are an organisation or a health practitioner and would like to find out more about becoming a WDP sponsor, see Work and Development Permit scheme on the Department of Justice and Community Safety website.


Return to the top