Fines Victoria

Primary content

An introduction to some of the agencies involves in the infringements process, and their roles and responsibilities.

Enforcement agencies  

The issuing, collection, review, enforcement and disbursement of fines is spread across many different enforcement agencies.

Some examples of enforcement agencies are:

  • Victoria Police
  • The Department of Transport
  • Victorian Building Authority
  • Local councils

and there are many others.

For some enforcement agencies, such as Victoria Police, Fines Victoria can accept fine payments or applications at any stage.

With other enforcement agencies, Fines Victoria will only get involved if the fine has not been paid on time and has reached Notice of Final Demand stage.  With these fines, you should deal with the enforcement agency that issued it to you.

For example, if you have a:  

  • public transport fine, or
  • fine issued by a local council  

then Fines Victoria can only take payments or applications if the fine was not paid in full, the due date has passed and a Notice of Final Demand has been issued.

If you're not sure how to deal with your fine, always refer to the options printed on your fine or contact the agency that issued it to you.  

Magistrates' Court 

When a fine is ordered by a court following a hearing for an offence, these fines are referred to Fines Victoria for collection and enforcement  – unless the magistrate or judge decides otherwise.  

If you have a fine issued by a court, Fines Victoria can help you to:

  • pay your fine
  • apply for a payment extension
  • apply to pay in instalments

Fines Victoria is not able to determine if you are eligible for a rehearing, but the court that issued your fine can.

Further information can be found on the Magistrates' Court of Victoria website and the County Court of Victoria website. It is recommended that you also seek legal advice.

The Director, Fines Victoria

The Director, Fines Victoria (the Director) deals with the processing and enforcement of unpaid fines.

Where a person or company can pay but they fail to do so, the Director can apply sanctions to hold people to account.

Under the law, the Director has the power to:

  • suspend or prevent you renewing your driver licence
  • suspend or prevent you renewing your vehicle registration
  • prevent you from transferring your vehicle registration out of your name
  • make deductions from your bank account, wages or money owed to you
  • charge and sell land that you own.

The Director can also ask the Magistrates' Court of Victoria to issue an enforcement warrant if an infringement fine or court fine has not been paid in full by the due date of the Notice of Final Demand.

The Sheriff of Victoria 

The Sheriff of Victoria (the Sheriff) is an officer of the Supreme Court of Victoria, responsible for actioning warrants in Victoria for both civil and criminal matters.

If a fine remains unpaid, the Sheriff is responsible for enforcing a warrant issued against you.

This includes warrants for:  

  • unpaid infringement fines registered with Fines Victoria  
  • unpaid fines imposed by a magistrate or judge following an appearance in court.  

Sheriff's officers can visit your home or workplace, or stop you at a roadblock to discuss your warrant.

You should not be afraid of sheriff's officers. They want to help you to come to an arrangement to deal with your unpaid fines, and they will treat you respectfully. They will explain the options available to you and help you understand what you need to do.

If it is necessary, sheriff's officers have the power to:

  • search for and seize property (such as your vehicle) to sell  
  • wheel clamp or detain your vehicle  
  • arrest you so that you are brought before a magistrate or judge.  

For more information, see Sheriffs in Victoria and What happens when the sheriff contacts you.



Return to the top