How to apply for an internal review

Do you want to have your fine reviewed?

If you believe you've been unfairly issued with a fine, you can have it reviewed.

If you've received an Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice, you can apply to have the fine reviewed by the agency that issued your original fine. This is called an Internal Review.

You're allowed one Internal Review per infringement notice.

On what grounds can I apply for an Internal Review?

Your application will be assessed:

  • if there has been a mistake made in issuing the notice
  • if there has been a mistake of identity
  • if you have special circumstances
  • if there are other exceptional circumstances


 Internal reviews are not available for:

  • excessive speeding
  • drink-driving offences
  • drug-driving offences
  • alcohol-related boating offences 

How to apply for an Internal Review

You must send in your application before the due date shown on your notice.

How to apply

By Mail

Civic Compliance Victoria®
GPO Box 1916
Melbourne 3001

By Fax

Civic Compliance Victoria®
(03) 9200 8009

In person:
In Person

Civic Compliance Victoria®
Ground Floor, 277 William St,
Melbourne 3001.

(between the hours of 8am-6pm, Monday-Friday, except public holidays)  

You can authorise someone to make the application on your behalf. You may wish to seek legal assistance before completing your application.

What happens next?

The agency that issued the fine conducts the review. This usually happens within 90 days of receiving your application.

It can take longer if they have to ask you for additional information.

Once a decision has been made, you will be notified in writing to let you know the outcome.

They can:

  • withdraw the infringement notice and take no further action against you
  • withdraw the infringement notice and issue an official warning in its place
  • refer the matter to the Magistrates' Court (or the Children's Court if you're under 18)
  • enforce the notice but waive or vary any fees
  • enforce the notice but waive or vary any additional steps imposed by the infringement notice, or
  • confirm its decision to issue you with an infringement notice


If the Internal Review has been refused, you'll need to pay the notice by the due date to avoid being issued with an Enforcement Order Notice and incurring additional costs.

If you need help paying, you can apply for a payment plan.

If you wish to contest the decision, you can elect to go to court.   

Need help with your application?

This instructional video shows how to complete an Application for Internal Review.

This video is also available in Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Turkish and Vietnamese.

If you have any questions about an Infringement Notice, contact Civic Compliance Victoria® on 03 9200 8111 or 1300 369 819 (regional callers) between 8am and 9pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.