Legal Assistance

If you need legal or financial assistance during any stage of the infringements process, a number of organisations can help. These organisations are listed below. Alternatively, you can contact your lawyer.

Legal advice:

Financial advice:


  • When accessing these services you may be assessed for your eligibility


Legal Advice

  • Victoria Legal Aid (VLA)

    The VLA provides a legal information service, including free legal information in English and other languages. VLA's head office is located at 350 Queen St, Melbourne, VIC 3000 and they have a number of suburban and regional offices.

    For free legal information you can call (03) 9269 0120 or 1800 677 402 (country callers), or visit the VLA website on

    For all other enquiries, please call (03) 9269 0234 (switchboard).
  • Federation of Community Legal Centres (CLC)

    Community Legal Centres (CLCs) are independent community organisations that provide free legal information, initial advice and in some cases ongoing assistance. There are more than 50 CLCs located throughout Victoria.

    To find the CLC closest to you, call (03) 9652 1500, visit their website at  or email:

  • The Law Institute of Victoria
    The Law Institute offers a referral service for those seeking legal advice. You can call them on (03) 9607 9311, visit their website at  or email: 


  • Public Interest Law Clearing House (PILCH)
    The PILCH arranges for members of the private legal profession to provide free legal assistance to the community. To find out more about this service call (03) 8636 4400 or visit

    PILCH also runs a service, the Homeless Persons' Legal Clinic (HPLC), which provides targeted legal help to people experiencing homelessness, including specialist advice in relation to infringements. To contact the HPLC call 1800 606 313.

  • Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Centre (VALS)
    VALS provides legal aid and assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. VALS head office is in Melbourne and there are seven regional offices in Bairnsdale, Heywood, Mildura, Morwell, Shepparton and Swan Hill.

    For more information VALS has a 24 hour phone service that you can call on (03) 9419 3888 or 1800 064 865 (toll free), or you can visit  or email:  

  • YouthLaw
    YouthLaw provide free legal advice, information and casework to young people up to the age of 25.

    You can drop into their centre at 19 King Street, Melbourne every weekday during the hours 2pm till 5pm. For more information you can visit,  phone (03) 9611 2412 or email:


Financial Advice

  • Consumer Affairs Victoria 
    Financial counsellors offer advice about your financial situation, the options you have, and the consequences of those options. They can also assist you with any outstanding infringement matters. There are free financial counsellors in most metropolitan and regional areas. 
    Visit Consumer Affairs Victoria for more information.
  • MoneyHelp
    MoneyHelp offers free, confidential financial advice. You can get practical information including a simple budget planner, debt payment options, how to approach creditors, and handy tips and tools to help you sort out your money.
    For more information about MoneyHelp, you can visit the MoneyHelp  website or phone their advice line on 1800 007 007, Monday to Friday, 9.30am till 5pm.